POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Feature Request: Custom Template Converter : Feature Request: Custom Template Converter Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Request: Custom Template Converter
From: Daniel A K  Halsey
Date: 14 Oct 1998 15:57:38
Message: <3624f422.0@news.povray.org>
I've been away from the POV-Ray scene (terrible pun, but not initially
intended; please forgive me) for a while, and just installed the new Windows
version.  I love the new editor (feels more like a true development
environment now), but was kind of disappointed to find that I couldn't
automatically bring in my old customized template.

On that note, I'd like to request a converter for the old template. (as per
the notice in the changes.txt file, which I hope is still valid)

I noticed in "changes.txt" that the Insert menu had been changed from the
old style to a set of individual text files.  While this makes it much
easier to generate encapsulated insertion files, I miss the layout control
and unified modification capabilities of the old template.

The mod caps I can get over (I like hard-tabs, and a search and replace is
much easier to do on a single file, but I think the benefit of encapsulation
outweighs this minor gripe), but I'd like to be able to rearrange the
sub-menus and their contents to represent some (non-alpha) logical order
(Headers -> Light Sources -> Expressions -> Shapes, etc.) without resorting
to adding prefixes to the directory and file names (00_Headers -> 01_Light
Sources...).  I guess the best example of this would be the IE4 Bookmarks
directory, wherein, sections and bookmarks can be rearranged, but are kept
in a directory (folder) rather than the Netscape/old template-style single
file.

Thanks, Chris, and the rest of the POV-Team, for an excellent update.
(Thanks also for keeping the Alt-C and Alt-G keys the same)

Sorry if my post is a bit messy, but I tend to write in the same way that I
think...
(Also: I assumed this was the right ng, as opposed to p.bugreports, since
it's not a bug)

Thanks,
Daniel A.K. Halsey